Waysiders Drumpellier just too strong for Strathendrick

Endrick had hoped to finish their league campaign with a win but it wasn’t to be after going down to Waysiders Drumpellier 29-7.

The Fintry squad will now have to wait and see the results of Loch Lomond’s last four matches against WD, McLaren, Garnock and Carrick. Loch Lomond at present are nine points behind Endrick and accordingly must win at least two of their remaining fixtures.

Endrick faced a strong wind and made their usual bright start. However they failled to find a way through what was a solid defence.

After 10 minutes WD turned on the pressure at the corner for the first try. The visitors used the wind to their advantage to keep much of the play in the home half.

Endrick held them well and from time to time took the game into WD territory with some clever running

which generally ended some way short of the line.

In 25 minutes one such Endrick raid broke down and the ball was belted downwind to touch. WD won the line-out and the pack drove over for their second unconverted try.

Ten minutes of the half remained and Endrick were still holding out with a 10 point deficit. This

looked manageable for the homeside with the wind in their favour in the second half.

But WD upset this idea, kicking a penalty to touch five metres out, and then driving over for a converted try. A minute later Endrick were still reeling from the shock when a WD back ran through their lines for a score at the posts and the deficit at the interal had soared to 24 points.

Endrick started the second half determined not to go further down. Within a minute they had points on

the board after Craig Mundell and Dave Beaumont combined to cut through the WD ranks and Mundell

went in for a try converted by Ruaraidh Doyle.

That gave the home side a big boost and they were

immediately back on the offensive. Their pressure seemed to have paid off five minutes later when they reached the visitors’ line but the ball slipped from George Gourlie’s grasp to deny him what would have been a well deserved try.

After that the Fintry men did their share of attacking but good defending and an unfortunate but frequent tendency by Endrick players to take the wrong option kept the WD line intact. The only try of the second half went to the visitors 12 minutes from the end.

Endrick: T.Moore; Dave Beaumont, R.Bruce, C.Mundell, S.McGill; D.Duff, R.Doyle; M.O’Connell,

D.Ross, C.Gibson, B.Connor, C.Mundell, M.Calderwood, J.Ogilvy and G.Gourlie, repl Doug Beaumont,

S.Campbell, S.Connor, G.Davies and A.McVean.