Thistle celebrate with first home league win of the season

It was almost worth the long wait with Thistle recording their first home league win of the season, with a 3-1 bashing of second placed Aberdeen at Firhill.

The Dons have won all thre of their previous meetings with Thistle this season, but it was different this time.

Thistle v Aberdeen. At Firhill'Lyle Taylor scoring'Photo by Emma Mitchell'24/2/14

Thistle v Aberdeen. At Firhill'Lyle Taylor scoring'Photo by Emma Mitchell'24/2/14

But it didn’t look like that in the 17th minute when Paul Gallacher, much to his obvious fury, was adjudged to have pulled down Adam Rooney. The result: the visitors were awarded a penalty. After being booked though, Gallacher simply dusted himself down and blocked Barry Robson’s spot kick.

Gallacher has been in excellent form since coming into the starting eleven and he further underlined that with an excellent save low down to keep out a Rooney header in the 36th minute.

As much as Aberdeen had the better of the opening 45 minutes it wasn’t all one way traffic and Thistle showed enough in the final third to suggest that they were capable of troubling the Aberdeen defence.

The first chance of the second half fell to Aberdeen with Chris Erskine having to make an important clearance from deep inside the Thistle penalty box, but the initiative in this game quickly shifted to a Thistle side that was growing in confidence and belief all the time.

Play started to open up in front of Prince Buaben in the 48th minute but his final shot lacked any real power and Langfield was able to make a comfortable save.

The opening goal arrived in the 58th minute and it was a well deserved one for Thistle.

Aberdeen had only been able to partially clear a corner kick and when the ball was returned to the Aberdeen box Conrad Balatoni send a low show past into the corner of the net.

Thistle celebrated a second goal in the 64th minute with a Kallum Higginbotham cross from the Thistle right. Lyle Taylor was in the right spot to bullet home a shot.

The comfort of a two goal lead though was something that Thistle were only able to enjoy for just over a minute.

Barry Robson sent over a free kick from the left and Adam Rooney was able to find the back of the Thistle net with a header from inside the Thistle six yard box.

Thistle, however, was back to being two goals in front with 18 minutes of the game remaining. Lyle Taylor once again was the scorer. Left with just Langfield to beat, he angled a shot across the Aberdeen keeper and into the far corner of the net.

Two minutes later Taylor missed an excellent chance to complete a memorable hat-trick as he scooped a shot over the bar from six yards out. A further two minutes later he was again denied a hat-trick, this time by the outstretched foot of Langfield and, as Thistle at times tore the Aberdeen defence apart, Taylor hit the side netting in the 79th minute.

Aberdeen tried to find a way back into the game in the closing stages but only once were they able to trouble the impressive Paul Gallacher in the Thistle goal; Gallacher doing well to push away a fiercely struck effort from Hayes with just a minute of the 90 remaining.