The Dons destroy Partick Thistle to take all three points

Pittodrie hasn’t really been happy hunting ground for Thistle over the years and that trend continued on Saturday - with a lacklustre performance, losing 2-0 to The Dons.

Aberdeen’s first effort on goal came inside the first minute but Paul Gallacher was able to watch David Goodwillie’s effort trickle wide of his right-hand post.

Goodwillie was at it again with a header in the 16th minute after the Aberdeen striker was allowed a free header at a corner kick.

Less than a minute later it was the turn of Mark Reynolds to enjoy the freedom of the Thistle penalty box as Thistle were once more posted missing at a corner kick. This time it took a well placed Jake Carroll to keep the scores tied when he cleared off the line.

Aberdeen continued to dominate the game and Gallacher was called into action again in the 26th minute when he pushed away an effort from Niall McGinn and Jake Carroll was forced into making an important clearance after a fine Nicky Low effort.

Twice Abdul Osman had to clear dangerous crosses behind for Aberdeen corners and Gallacher was required to tip a Reynolds header over the bar as Aberdeen pressed for an opener.

At the other end Thistle offered very little during the opening 45 minutes. Stuart Bannigan and Kallum Higginbotham had a couple of efforts from distance but off target.

Having survived the opening half without letting in a goal it was frustrating in the extreme for Thistle to concede the opening goal less than 90 seconds after the restart; Nicky Low’s effort from just outside the Thistle box beat Gallacher’s dive and found the bottom of the Thistle net.

It took until the hour mark for Thistle to offer much in the way of resistance and in his last contribution before being substituted, Christie Elliott saw his effort from just outside the Aberdeen box go just over the bar.

A minute later Jamie Langfield was required to make his first save of note when he had his hands stung by a fierce Higginbotham shot as Thistle started to offer hope that they might yet take something from the game.

Those hopes, however, were well and truly extinguished when Niall McGinn was able to double Aberdeen’s advantage in spectacular fashion in the 66th minute.

For a period it looked as if Aberdeen would add further goals before the end of the game and they were very close on a number of occasions.

Thistle: Gallacher, O’Donnell, Seaborne, Balatoni (Muirhead 78), Bannigan, Stevenson (Lawless 79), Elliott (Doolan 61), Higginbotham, Carroll, Osman, Fraser, Subs not used: Fox, Muirhead, Craigen, Keenan.