Strathendrick Rugby Club clinch victory in final 10 minutes

Endrick rugby club v Lenzie at Fintry'Photo by Emma Mitchell'20/4/13
Endrick rugby club v Lenzie at Fintry'Photo by Emma Mitchell'20/4/13

Strathendrick came from being 19 point behind with 10 minutes to go, to beating Lenzie 40-38 in a thrilling game at Ruth Menzies field on Saturday.

The Finty fans thought it was all over but the squad had other ideas.

With the wind in their backs Lenzie opened the scoring with a try by Michael Brown to give them a 5-0 lead in the first minute.

Five minutes later a quick tap and deft little kick by Ewan MacKay allowed Rory Doyle to equalize. The game swung from end to end but Lenzie were next to score when a good passing move put right wing Tom McDermott over. Morrison added the conversion for a 12-5 lead to the visitors.

On 27 minutes a fine run by Callum Ferguson gave an opening to James Ogilvy who got over the try line. Sam Greenock missed the conversion, but a prolonged spell of Endrick pressure succeeded in a penalty

to put Endrick one point ahead with 37 minutes played.

Lenzie recovered the lead before the break when a good take at a line-out was followed by a powerful drive from Ross Paton who went over for a Lenzie try. The half ended with Lenzie again on the Endrick line but this time they were held up and had to settle for a 19-13 lead at the break.

They restarted as if they meant to stretch that advantage but Endrick had other views.

In seven minutes a promising attack was broken up, but when the ball came to Drew McDonald some 35 metres out he had no hesitation in unleashing a monster drop kick which sailed through the middle of the goal to cut Endrick’s deficit to three points.

Two minutes later Lenzie combined well to work the ball deep into Endrick territory for centre Graeme Condie to race over for a converted try.

In 18 minutes Drew McDonald struck again with his second long range drop goal to bring Endrick once more within a single score of the opposition total at 26-19.

Again Lenzie responded quickly, scoring two tries in seven minutes; one from a quick tap by David McCrae, fed to prop Jamie Letford for a try in the corner.

Endrick just survived another powerful drive before Lenzie’s sixth try scored by David McCrae. The conversion gave Lenzie a 19 point lead with 10 minutes to go.

But rather than give up Endrick fought back and with the opposition reduced to 14 men after a dangerous tackle, Endrick scored three tries. Ruaraidh McLaughlin got two and James Ogilvy the other. Drew McDonald

converted all three to put them in the lead.

Endrick: Greenock, Ferguson, Johnstone, Collie, McLaughlin, McDonald, Doyle, McVean, McNeill, Davies, McLaughlin, Gourlie, McKay, Ogilvy, MacKay. Repl: Beaumont, Campbell, Gibson, Greenock, Spence.