Strathendrick Rugby Club clinch league opening winner

Strathendrick 29

Cumbernauld 3

RBS West League - Division 2

Strathendrick opened their league campaign at Fintry on Saturday with a good win against their visitors

Cumbernauld might have taken the lead in the first minute when Endrick were penalised for an infringement in a ruck. Fortunately for them the 35 metre kick went wide.

Endrick took the lead after nine minutes when Sam Greenock showed some nifty footwork before slipping an inside pass to Conor Gibson who finished the job in convincing style. Greenock added the extras and was again on target six minutes later when he kicked a penalty from 32 metres.

Endrick were better in moving the ball about with better speed in the back division. When the visitors made individual breaks they were halted before support arrived. Their pack finally got into a threatening position midway through the half but the danger was cleared up when they were penalised close to the Endrick line.

Having survived that, Endrick immediately set about consolidating their lead and in 24 minutes added a peach of a try. The ball passed through four or five pairs of hands before reaching Steven Bastock and after breaking the first tackle his pace took him to the line. Greenock converted it.

Three minutes before the break Cumbernauld got their first score when Endrick were caught offside

and the visitors landed the 25 metre penalty to go into the turnaround 17-3 down.

Cumbernauld piled the pressure on at the start of the first half, but their enthusiasm went too far and in five minutes they went down to 14 men when one of their forwards was sent off for reckless use of the boot.

The extra man put Endrick into an unassailable position. Cumbernauld defended stubbornly and managed to get a fair amount of ball for their backs to have a go but Endrick always had the edge.

Cumbernauld however put up a good defence and it wasn’t until the last quarter that the home side added to their score.

A good handling move on halfway was taken on by Steven Bastock who made a lot of ground before a

deft pass let George Gourlie charge over at the corner flag for Endrick’s third try. Greenock’s kick from the touchline sailed high above the further post but both touch judges signalled that the kick was good and Endrick were 24-3 ahead.

A minute from time Endrick scored their bonus-winning try when David Wallace made a great run before passing to Bastock who completed the scoring with his second try.

Endrick: Moore, Bastock, Campbell, North, McGill, Duff, Greenock, O’Connell, Gibson, Bruce, Connor, Gourlie, Train, Ogilvy, Scott. Replacements: Allan, Calderwood, Connor, Davies, MacKay, McVean, Wallace.

Endrick’s next league match on Saturday will be away to newly promoted Uddingston.