Strathendrick rugby clinch victory by just one point

Strthendrick Rugby Club secured a slim 9-8 victory over rivals Clydebank when they welcomed them to Ruth Menzies Field on Saturday in the penultimate game of the season.

The two have a history of almost 40 years of hard-fought confrontations with very little separating the sides in most of the encounters.

It did not start too well for Endrick. They certainly had the better of the early midfield struggle

but after only six minutes Bankies’ first serious attack was halted illegally and Ross Moffat kicked the resultant penalty to give the visitors a 3-0 lead.

With every tackle finding its mark neither side could break to the line but when, after 15 minutes

Endrick were awarded a penalty on the visitors’ 22, Sam Greenock levelled the scores . The first

- and only - try of the game followed when Bankies drove over at the corner after a spell of good

pressure. The conversion was missed but Endrick were again behind.

The Fintry men then stepped up the pace but could not pierce a determined defence until 10 minutes

before the break when Sam Greenock landed his second kick from 30 metres just before the turnaround.

Clydebank restarted with a kick deep into Endrick territory. Dougie Duff gathered the ball and sped through the advancing Bankies’ ranks before passing to Duncan McEwan who was halted a few paces from the line. After only 25 seconds of the second half Clydebank were penalised almost on their line. Endrick had a great position for a tap penalty and a drive to the line for a try but after consideration took the safe option of putting points on the board. Sam Greenock obliged with his third successful kick. It proved to be the right decision because it was the last score of the match.

Endrick had better possession for the next quarter of an hour but were given a scare when a Bankies’ break was halted near the home line.

Having survived that Endrick returned to the attack without threatening to add to their single point lead.

With only four minutes of ‘normal’ time left they had to thank Dougie Duff for a great tackle which grounded a Bankies’ back who had evaded every other attempt to stop him in a run that had covered three-quarters of the pitch.

Three minutes into stoppage time the home support had another heart-stopping moment when Clydebank

won a penalty 28 metres out and left of the posts. Ross Moffat pushed his kick outside the near post. However the drama was not quite over because Endrick had to defend for another three minutes of nail-biting time added on.

The Fintry men play their last league match of the season at Fintry on Saturday when Waysider/

Drumpellier are the opponents.

Endrick: S.Greenock; T.Moore, R.Bruce, C.Mundell, D.Wallace; K.Campbell, D.Duff; M.O’Connell,

T.McNeill, C.Gibson, D.McEwan, B.Connor, M.Calderwood, J.Ogilvy and G.Gourlie, repl Dave Beaumont,

Doug Beaumont, S.Campbell, G.Davies, D.McDonald, S.McGill and A.McVean.