Strathendrick RFC’s Captains clinch victory

Strathendrick RFC Captain’s XV 58

President’s XV 5

PERFECT weather and perfect playing conditions attracted a big crowd to Ruth Menzies Field on Saturday for the annual Captain v President’s match.

The Captain’s starting side in the club’s normal blue and white was on the usual lines with the notable

exception of Ewan MacKay who was an interested spectator for the first half.

The red-shirted President’s side comprised a mixture of the club’s up-and-coming youngsters and some of the club’s former players.

The Captain’s side were clear favourites. They have been together all season, were obviously much fitter and could hardly have found a better playing surface for their speedsters to show off their running power. Even so, few would have anticipated that these factors would enable them to run in eight tries at regular intervals in an astonishing first 40.

Calum Ferguson was first to cross the line after only four minutes. Dave McGuffie barged over for the second soon after. Kyle Campbell, Ruaraidh McLaughlin and James Ogilvy added three in a mad three minute spell. Sam Greenock (2) and Drew McDonald had converted three of the five tries so that after quarter of an hour’s play the Blues were 31-0 ahead.

There followed a ten minute spell when the scorer was not in action and then Ruaraidh McLaughlin added his second. Another scoring respite followed but in the last four minutes of the half James McLaughlin and Kyle Campbell scored unconverted tries to put the Captain 46-0 ahead.

Changes were made for the second half including the appearance of Sandy Cuthbertson and Ewan MacKay for the President.

Their experience helped to inspire a good response from their new team mates and the third quarter of the match had as much effort but no score for either side.

In 21 minutes the try which produced the biggest cheer of the day was scored by the President’s side, a jinking run by Bruce Duncan which started about 25 metres from the line and followed a zigzag course which covered about 70 metres before he touched down. No wonder his kick at goal fell well short!

That proved to be the Reds only score. For a time there were thoughts that they might have won the second half but Richie Bruce in 68 minutes and Sam Greenock in 74 minutes scored tries for the Captain. With the last try converted by Greenock the final score was 58-5.

Captain’s XV: Kerr, Ferguson, Johnstone, Campbell, McLaughlin;, McDonald, Greenock, Cuthbertson, McNeill, Gibson, McEwan, McLaughlin, McKay, Ogilvy, McGuffie. Replacements: Spence, Scott, Kay, Bruce and McVean.

President’s XV: Beaumont, McGill, O’Connel, Mundell, Carswell, Duncan, Wiggins, Forsyth, Wright, Brown, Campbell, Steel, Christie, Porteous, Mundell. Replacement: MacKay, Cuthbertson, Doyle, Davies, Bruce, Mair, Rankin, McAlpine, Greenock.

Referee: Mr Peter Cook.