Strathendrick Captain’s team prove too strong for President’s squad

Stathendrick Captain’s XV had a convincing 33-12 win over the President’s XV in the annual end of season match.

The Captain’s side in blue and white was on the usual lines while the President’s team in red and white comprised a number of players who had formerly played for the club along with a couple of guests to stiffen the mix.

It quickly became clear that both teams were out for a win rather than an afternoon in the sun. Big hits were the order of the day and not surprisingly neither side made clear cut chances in the first quarter of the game. After 21 minutes Callum Ferguson broke the deadlock with a splendid try for the President. Craig Boland added the extras for a 7 - 0 lead. He was again on the score sheet with a solo try after 36 minutes.

The kick was missed but the Captain’s side had hardly expected to be 12 points down. Before the break they rectified some of the damage when Craig Mundell weaved a way through for a try which was converted by Sam Greenock.

Whatever Richie Bruce said to his side at the interval got to them and they stepped up the pace in the second half. Nevertheless it took them 20 minutes to break down the red and white wall.

Duncan McEwan drove over for the try and Sam Greenock added the kick which put the Captain ahead

for the first time.

The blues then pushed on with new found confidence adding two tries in the next eight minutes. Craig Mundell got his second in 23 minutes and Duncan McEwan also completed a double four minutes later. Sam Greenock converted both and at 28 - 12 the result was pretty well decided.

Neither side let up right to the end before which Ewan MacKay had marked his return to active duty with the final try of the game.

President: Duncan, Taylor, Johnstone, Ferguson, Lavelle, Boland, Doyle, Brown, Summers, McAlpine, Steel, McLaughlin, Taylor, McMillan, Porteous, repl Scott, Beaumont, McGuffie, McLaughlin and Carswell.

Captain: Duff, Moore, Bruce, Mundell, McGill, Campbell, Greenock, O’Connell, McNeill, Gibson, Connor, McEwan, Calderwood, Ogilvy, Gourlie, repl MacKay, McDonald, Campbell, Davies and McVean.

The referee was Mr Andy Summers.