Sizzler of a contest sees Endrick clinch victory

Strathendrick Rugby Club grabbed victory in the last move of the game when they beat Loch Lomond 23-19 at Dillichip in this RBS West League Division two game.

With both sides eager for points to ease their way away from the bottom of the table, this was not expected to be an exhibition of the finer points of the game.

In addition, the December weather had left very wet areas on top of hard ground and this did little to help the runners.

This did not nowever stop the players from laying on a sizzler of a contest in which the lead changed hands six times.

Endrick had the wind behind them in the first half and Sam Greenock used it to give his side good attacking positions when Loch Lomond were twice penalised on halfway in the opening minutes.

Nothing came from the lineouts in the home 22 but after nine minutes Greenock put Endrick ahead with his first pot at goal from 28 metres.

Neither side could make much headway against vigorous defending until the Loch pack found a way through for prop Scott Newport to score the first try after 24 minutes.

The conversion was missed but the home side was ahead by two points. The lead lasted less than ten minutes before Greenock landed his second penalty, a cracker from fully 35 metres.

Loch Lomond came roaring back and their forwards next attack produced a second try, Ewan Todd scoring in the corner. In difficult conditions the conversion by McAdam was a beauty.

In the last five minutes before the break Endrick tried hard to pull back the six point deficit but the closest they came was a kick at goal from Greenock which dropped short.

Endrick turned up the pressure in the second half but Loch Lomond defended stoutly.

The home side went down to 14 men when a late tackle resulted in a yellow card being shown. They initially held out but in 53 minutes Conor Gibson forced his way over for an unconverted try - gap now only one point.

The Fintry men now had their tails up and six minutes later their front row claimed their second try, hooker Tam McNeill the scorer with Greenock converting.

Considering how the game had gone an 18-12 lead was not a total guarantee of success but Endrick’s chances seemed to be considerably enhanced in 68 minutes when Drew McGinty, Loch’s No 8, was red-carded for illegal use of the boot.

Endrick could not make their extra man count and had one or two scares before Steven Ferrier found a way through to score at the posts to put Loch Lomond again into the lead.

The home side were put under the cosh for the final seven minutes and with time running out Endrick nabbed the winner when Shammy Ogilvy drove over at the corner.

The 23-19 win let Endrick overtake Loch Lomond on points differential. The next few games will be vital for both clubs but given the determination shown by both sets of players on Saturday anything can happen.

On Saturday Endrick are at home playing Waysider/Drumpellier in a league match. Kick-off is 2pm.

Endrick: Moore, Doug Beaumont, Wallace, Bruce, Mundell, K.Campbell, Greenock, O’Connell, McNeill, Gibson, Connor, Allan, Gourlie, Ogilvy, McKay. Replacements: McVean, Dave Beaumont and S.Campbell.