West cup hopes are ended by impressive Preston Lodge side

West had their work cut out to try to stop Preston Lodge in Saturday's cup tie.
West had their work cut out to try to stop Preston Lodge in Saturday's cup tie.

West travelled East to Prestonpans to play a cup match against Preston Lodge, who were possibly the best opposition they faced last season.

PL are now challenging hard in the league above West and the BT Cup first round match, which was always going to be difficult, ended in a 43-8 defeat.

West were fielding some unfamiliar faces as quite a few players were making the step up from the 2nds and under 18s. Conditions were calm at Pennypit Park and PL looked to be a very well drilled side right from the start, and their players were on average significantly larger than West’s.

PL didn’t hang about and scored an early penalty through Thomas McCann, who didn’t miss a single conversion all afternoon.

West were showing a lot of heart in pushing PL but they increased their lead when a try from no 8 John Riley off the back of the lineout brought the score after the 
conversion to 10-0.

West at last had a chance to score with a kickable penalty which Blair Smith converted to make it 10-3.

However, PL winger Alex Costin found an easy route through the West defence to score under the posts and make it 17-3 after the somewhat inevitable conversion.

West were however working hard and a long period went by without any scoring before PL managed another try just before half-time when Dean Cunningham scored off a tap penalty, the score being 24-3 after the conversion, with the half-time whistle relieving West temporarily.

PL weren’t wasting time after the break when their scrum half Dale Gordon found a hole in West’s defence and scored to make it 29-3 after yet another successful conversion.

However West scored next. A passing move from a lineout found Dougie Mulliken who neatly offloaded to find Darren Allan on the wing, and he rounded the PL defence to score in the corner.

Unfortunately the conversion was missed but it was now 29-8.

Another war in the trenches ensued and West were working hard but PL’s man of the match Jonny Sked found a gap in the defence to power over, making it 36-8 after the conversion.

Finally right at the end, a PL passing move found their extra pace and power 
overcome West’s defence and Blair Robertson scored, with the conversion making it 43-8 to PL.

The cup is over for a year and the action returns to the league where West have a long away trip to Orkney next Saturday.