More points in the bag for Endrick

Clydebank 11

Strathendrick 26

RBS West League - Div 2

This win coupled with McLaren’s defeat moves Endrick into fourth place, three points behind Cambuslang the league leaders.

There was little to enthuse about in the opening quarter. In that spell neither side was able to carry the ball into their opponent’s 22 and play was a slog in midfield.

The one positive factor was not greatly to Endrick’s liking for they were totally unable to win the ball at the line-out either on their own or on Bankies’ put in. Fortunately they were usually able to prevent the home side from cashing in on their advantage.

Clydebank were the first to score on 20 minutes when they were given a penalty. Over the next 10 minutes there seemed to be more penalties than play. From the restart Endrick attacked and a penalty from 28 metres gave Sam Greenock the chance to bring the scores level. Two minutes later he put Endrick 6-3 ahead with his second successful kick.

That lead lasted less than two minutes. Clydebank’s next attack was halted by Jez Thomas with a tackle which the referee deemed to be dangerous. He was given 10 minutes in the sin bin for Endrick’s scrum-half and three points for Bankies from the McCombe boot.

The Bankies conceded several penalties and the referee yellow carded one of their forwards for persistent infringements. Sam Greenock’s kick was just off target, but he was able to restore Endrick’s lead four minutes before the break with another penalty which again saw a home player sin-binned.

After the turnaround it quickly become clear that Endrick had realised the futility of kicking the frequent penalties to touch when the opposition were still in command of the line-out. Instead, every kick was a quickly taken tap followed by a drive.

Endrick’s Ewan MacKay went over for the first try of the game and Greenock converted. David Parr then scored for Clydebank.

Endrick’s Douglas Duff added his first try of the season and with 15 minutes left they still had the edge and the time for two tries for a try bonus but the home side held out until the final minute when Kyle Campbell scored their third try.

Endrick: S.Greenock; S.Bastock, T.Moore, K.Campbell, S.McGill; D.Duff, J.Thomas; C.Gibson, T.McNeill, M.O’Connell, D.McEwen, E.Mackay, A.McDonald, F.McKay and J.Ogilvy, repl. B.Anderson, Dave Beaumont, M.Calderwood, S.Campbell, G.Davies, A.McVean and G.Scott.

On Saturday Endrick’s next league match will be at Fintry when Waysider/Drumpellier are the visitors. Kick-off is 2pm.