Milngavie Wanderers clinch a point

Milngavie Wanderers shared the spoils against Celtic BC in a 3-3 final score that saw them come back from being two down at half time.

This GADYFL League Cup game at Tannochside Primary School in Uddingston saw Milngavie Wanderers come out of the shadow of their previous clash with Celtic back in January which they lost 8-1 in the Regional Cup. Celtic started the game stronger and with the wind at their backs, Dylan McKinnon rattled the bar after only 60 seconds but they didn’t need to wait long to go ahead with Mark Taylor taking advantage of some defensive hesitancy to slot past Jason McCartney in the Milngavie goal.

He was celebrating again three minutes later as he lashed the ball home from the left hand side of the box.

Milngavie struggled to cope in midfield as the wind helped Celtic to remain camped in their half, creating chance after chance and McCartney had to be alert to push a low free kick round the post. Aran McDonald began to force himself into the game and after cutting inside on 21 minutes his tame shot was saved by Daniel Farrell.

Four minutes later there was more luck though when James Macmillan latched onto a rebound tapping the ball home.

That joy at coming back into the game was instantly erased however as McCartney was caught off his line, when right from the centre, Paul Rankin launched the ball over his head and into the net to restore Celtic’s two goal lead.

The second half saw Celtic facing the wind and Milngavie came out fighting. The first chance fell to Alberto Vezza who brought down Robbie Donaldson’s free kick inside the six yard box but his effort was blocked. He had another chance ten minutes later but could only glance his shot wide with his head.

The breakthrough came with a Robbie Donaldson free kicks in the 66th minute. He cleared the defence and found Connor Nelson who got the goal his contribution had meritted as he drilled it in at Farrell’s near post. Donldson then added the equaliser following a foul just inside the Celtic half. He played a similar ball over the top to Nelson with the ball evading him but crucially it also evaded Farrell and bounced into the net.

Celtic then adopted a defensive style and Milngavie found it hard to make progress. In the dying minutes both teams pushed for that elusive winner and it took some heroics in injury time to stop Celtic from clinching victory.