Jags made to wait for well-earned win

ALLOA, Recreation Park. Ramsdens Challenge Cup, Round 1, Clyde FC v Partick Thistle.
ALLOA, Recreation Park. Ramsdens Challenge Cup, Round 1, Clyde FC v Partick Thistle.

THISTLE made a positive start in the opening round of the Ramsdens Cup with a 1-0 win over Clyde.

But Partick had to wait until well into the game’s final quarter before Kris Doolan’s 73rd minute strike clinched a well earned victory.

Dominating most of the game the visitors to Alloa’s Recreation Park made a bright start.

A Stephen O’Donnell ball into the box was just a shade too far in front of Christie Elliott and a Paul Paton cross was similarly too high for Sean Welsh at the back post as Thistle enjoyed early success down the right flank.

Chris Erskine got Thistle’s first shot on goal in the 10th minute, but there was little pace in his shot. Two minutes later Erskine was again close to scoring after he connected with a Paul Paton cross. But his header looped over the Clyde goalkeeper and the crossbar.

After 20 minutes frustration started to creep into Thistle’s play with them unable to get a clear shot at goal.

The closest chance came in the 39th minute. Stuart Bannigan was on top form which earned him the man of the match award from the tournament sponsors.

After cutting in from the left with half-time approaching he saw his effort blocked by Clyde keeper Jamie Barclay.

After the turnaround it was business as usual for the visitors, with them getting the lion’s share of possession.

Erskine sent a shot wide after a scuffed shot from Hugh Murray had fallen in his direction, and twice Sean Welsh was unable to make the most of promising situations in and around the edge of the Clyde box.

On the hour mark Erskine tested Barclay at his near post and Welsh saw his header collected by the keeper.

Stephen O’Donnell also came close to scoring, but his effort was blocked by a Clyde defender.

In an attempt to finally put themselves in front Thistle sent on Doolan for Elliott and Doolan delivered after only five minutes of play.

Stuart Bannigan shot was saved, but Doolan was quickly on hand to collected the ball and move round Barclay to tap it into the net.

The visitors were unlucky not to add to their tally when first O’Donnell then Doolan were denied goals.

Despite a belated fight back deep in injury time, Clyde posed no threat to Thistle.

Thistle: Fox, O’Donnell, Muirhead, Archibald, Bannigan, Lawless, Welsh, Murray, Paton, Erskine, Craigen (80), Elliot, Doolan (68). Subs not used: Wightman, McGuigan, Sinclair.

Attendance: 1,065.