Injury time equaliser denies win for Thistle

There was bitter disappointment for Thistle when Hibs came back to equalise 1-1 deep into injury time and rob them of victory.

It would have been Thistle’s first win since October, but it wasn’t to be.

Hibs started better, with nerves getting the better of Thistle in the first ten minutes.

The home side were able to win a series of corners and Scott Fox was forced to turn a shot from ex-Jag Paul Cairney round the post.

Thistle’s first effort on goal came in the 11th minute when Ben Williams saved from Steven Lawless. Seconds later Thistle threatened again with this time Williams pushing away a fiercely driven effort from Kallum Higginbotham.

The visitors confidence grew with Steven Lawless just unable to gather a chipped pass from Kallum Higginbotham and a Christie Elliot shot spun off a Hibs defender into the path of Kris Doolan only for the flag to go up for offside against the Thistle striker.

Thistle were then put under pressure from a sustained Hibs attack, but only rarely was Fox called into direct action.

Thistle were forced into a change during the first half when Steven Lawless picked up a heavy knock and was replaced by Ross Forbes.

Into the second half and it was Forbes who had the first effort although goalie Williams was well placed to make a fairly comfortable save.

At the other end Fox was a little more hard pressed to keep out a long range effort from Tudor Jones; the Thistle keeper having to dive full length to save at his left hand post.

It was an important save as a mere 30 seconds later Thistle took a 49th minute lead with a superbly taken goal from Kris Doolan his 6th of the current season and the 60th of his Thistle career.

Being a goal ahead boosted Thistle’s confidence and a lovely reverse pass from Ross Forbes just failed to reach its’ intended target of Doolan as Thistle looked to press home their advantage.

But it took an almost super human effort from Scott Fox in the 66th minute to deny James Collins and preserve Thistle’s lead.

With 15 minutes remaining Thistle should have extended their lead. Forbes enjoyed the break of the ball leaving him with just Williams in the Hibs goal to beat but he rather snatched at the opportunity and sent the ball wide of goal.

Two minutes later the visitors almost paid for this mistake when Jason Cummings only had to connect with the ball at the back post following a corner from the left. But he missed the ball completely.

There was plenty of late Hibs pressure and on a couple of occasions Thistle really had to scramble the ball clear from their own penalty box.

There would, however, be a late, late blow for Thistle. The game was well into the third minute of injury time when a free kick was launched deep into the Thistle box and Thistle, who had otherwise defended so well, gave James Collins the space he needed to lash home and level the scores.

Thistle: Fox, McMillan, Muirhead,Piccolo, Sinclair, Higginbotham, Elliot, Osbourne, Lawless, Doolan (Lindsay 90), Craigen, Subs not used: Gallacher, Baird, Kerr, Wilson, Mechan.

Attendance: 10,431