Garnock too strong for struggling Endrick

Garnock 52

Strathendrick 0

RBS West League - Div. 2.

Endrick had their work cut out for themselves when they travelled to Ayrshire to face league leaders Garnock at Lochshore.

Their hosts have a 100 percent home win record this season and their target is to maintain that and gain promotion, whereas Endrick’s aim is to win some games to put space between them and the bottom of the table.

The Fintry Endrick kicked off and it took Garnock several minutes to gain some serious possession.

They then set up several attacks on the visitors’ line but were stopped short.

In the 16 minutes Garnock won a ruck some 20 metres out and a chip over the Endrick pack set

up the first try. The conversion put Garnock 7 – 0 in the lead.

Play swung from end to end with Endrick giving as good as they got to contribute to a good

game in difficult conditions. Garnock went further ahead in 27 minutes when a quick ball from

a scrum allowed a home back to race through to score at the posts. The extras made it 14–0.

Four minutes later a Garnock movement involving forwards and backs opened the way for a third

try between the posts and the home side were in front 21–0.

Play continued to half time with the visitors defending and Garnock trying to find a way

through for the bonus point try. The half ended with Garnock camped near the Endrick line.

Garnock restarted by kicking directly into touch. This seemed to spur on Endrick but their

efforts were thwarted by positive tackling from the home backs.

The Ayrshire men were now well in charge with their pack dominating lineouts and scrums but stubborn Endrick defending held them up until the 60th minute. Endrick knocked on, the referee played advantage and a homester was quick to spot a gap to score near the posts. That earned the bonus point and the conversion took the score to 28 – 0.

Two more tries were scored by Garnock in the next five minutes, one converted so that Endrick

were left to face a 40 point deficit in the last quarter of an hour. Nine minutes later the

situation deteriorated when they had a player sin binned for persistent infringements. From

the resulting penalty a tap and a couple of quick passes opened the way to the line for a

converted try.

Garnock rounded off the scoring when they took a quick tap penalty on the half way line,

fed the ball through the centres for the right winger to outpace the cover for his side’s

eighth try. From wide out the conversion was missed but the 52 – 0 score keeps Garnock’s

hopes of promotion very real.

This was a very good Garnock victory against what was at times a very stuffy Strathendrick

squad. However with the Garnock pack providing a plentiful supply of ball for a lively back

division there was only going to be one outcome. Only the incessant rain spoiled the


On Saturday Endrick are at home to Cambuslang in a league match. The kick-off is 2pm.