Frustration as Thistle split the points with St Johnstone

editorial image

Partick Thistle 0

St Johnstone 0

It was a frustrating afternoon for Thistle as they were forced to settle for a point in a goalless draw played in difficult conditions at Firhill.

Thistle struggled to find the same fluency of performance they had produced at Tannadice the previous week in the opening 10 minutes and it took 14 minutes for the hosts to create their first real chance of the game. Steven Lawless did well to find some space just outside the St Johnstone box. There wasn’t, however, room for a shot so he pushed the ball into the path of James Craigen who from a promising position shot straight at Mannus in the St Johnstone goal.

Thistle had another opportunity in the 27th minute with Steven Lawless again involved in the heart of the move; his cut back clipping the heel of Kris Doolan when he looked set for a scoring opportunity 8 yards from goal. Although the ball did break into the path of Stuart Bannigan he saw his effort blocked by a St Johnstone defender.

The ball just wasn’t falling for Doolan and he was unfortunate in the 35th minute when he was just unable to connect with a James Craigen cross from the left; the Thistle player picking up a knock in the process.

In the 38th minute St Johnstone’s Lee Croft found himself clear inside the Thistle box but was thwarted by Scott Fox who made a fine stop. Two minutes later a Croft corner from the left was met by the unchallenged head of Brian Graham who nodded wide of goal.

A minute into to second half Christie Elliott threatened the St Johnstone goal when he cut inside from the left only to see his shot drift wide of goal.

Frustration continued to grow as Thistle struggled to get a clear look at goal despite dominating the in terms of possession. Conrad Balatoni was able to head on a James Craigen corner but St Johnstone were able to clear to frustrate Thistle.

Although St Johnstone were a little limited in strategy, James McFadden did tried to curl an effort beyond the reach of Fox but could only shoot straight at the keeper.

Fox claimed his second clean sheet of the league season - the first since the opening league game, but he had to produce an important save close to his left hand post with the clock showing 90 minutes played when Davidson was able to head a Croft free kick towards the Thistle goal.

Deep into injury time Thistle had a chance to snatch a late winner when they won a free kick close to the edge of the St Johnstone box but Eccleston could not do more than strike the centre of the St Johnstone wall.