Baljaffray Thistle beat Giffnock 3-1

After a two week break due to an adverse weather only Giffnock’s 3G pitch prevented yet another call off.

The manager of Baljaffray, Fred Musleh, decided to opt for an experimental back four of Lewis James, Reece Donnelly, Lewis Gibbons and Darren O’Hanlon in an attempt to end a poor run of results.

The game kicked off in challenging conditions for both sides as strong winds flew across the pitch. The half began with Baljaffray dominating play but they failed to create any clear cut chances.

However, on twenty minutes Liam Fergusson floated a ball into the box which was caught by a gust of wind, the ball lifted over the despairing keeper and into the back of the net. Whether it was a cross or a shot only Fergusson knows as Baljaffray took the lead. Baljaffray continued to have the majority of play but couldn’t further their lead before half time.

Five minutes after the restart Baljaffray extended their lead. If there was a touch of fortune with their first goal there was no mistaking the individual brilliance of the second. Dave Fraser in great form, played the ball down the line to Fergusson who first time lofted the ball high over the keeper from a tight angle giving the keeper no chance.

Baljaffray were then forced to reorganise the highly impressive defence with O’Hanlon off injured, which coincided with Giffnock’s best period of play.

A rare lapse in concentration saw Baljaffray give away the ball in midfield, the Giffnock striker found himself in space and tucked the ball into the corner. The goal gave Giffnock confidence and they started to dictate play and in the 70th minute Giffnock came close to equalising but a superb save from goalkeeper Mick Quinn who tipped the powerful effort onto the post maintained Baljaffray’s lead.

Five minutes later another scare for Baljaffray as a Giffnock striker was one on one with Quinn, despite the cries for the obvious offside, a last ditch tackle from Nico Macleod kept the score at 2-1.

With the game entering a nervy final 10 minutes Baljaffray were desperate to settle the game and Fraser did just that, when a brilliant pass from Jordan Lindsey found the winger who composed himself and expertly finished past the Giffnock keeper to ensure the points for Baljaffray.

Giffnock continued to try and put pressure on Baljaffray but the defence which was expertly lead by Donnelly held firm. The tactical changes by the manager proved to have paid off.

Team: Quinn, O’Hanlon, James, Donnelly, Whittam, Khaira, Lindsay, Fraser, Fergusson, Courtney. Subs used: Hill, MacLeod, Keenan.

Bearsden Dentalcare: Man of the Match: Reece Donnelly.