Fintry men hold on to secure win against old rivals

Strathendrick 24

Clydebank 12

RBS West League - Div 2

Following two heavy defeats Endrick were pleased to return to winning ways at Fintry recently at Fintry

This fixture seldom provides an easy passage for either side but when Endrick scored three tries in the first half hour, it looked as if they might run up a big score, but it did not quite work out that way.

It took Endrick just two minutes to go ahead, Dougie Duff showing some elusive running to open

up his way to the posts for the first try. Sam Greenock made the most of the ideal conditions

to stroke over the conversion. He was again on target 14 minutes later when Endrick’s pressure

won them a penalty 35 metres out.

A kick by the scrum half a couple of minutes later also featured in the next score. He booted

a penalty on halfway into touch at the corner. Endrick’s line-out throw did not find its

intended target but Ewan MacKay grabbed the loose ball and scattered the Bankies’ defenders on

his way to the line. Greenock kept his kicking record intact to take Endrick’s tally to 17.

The match settled down to the usual slog between two close rivals with the home side having a

slight territorial edge. Ten minutes before the interval an Endrick attack broke down and the

ball was booted deep into the Endrick half. Doug Beaumont exercised some tidy footwork before

releasing Craig Mundell who raced upfield for Endrick’s third try. Greenock again added the


Endrick went for the try bonus before the half ended but when a kick failed to find touch,

Clydebank seized the chance to break downfield to score an unconverted try at the corner.

Holding a 24-5 lead for the second half, Endrick were comfortably placed but the visitors made

sure that they could not relax. Physical effort was the order of the day but play without much

sublety was not likely to keep the scorer busy and less than ten minutes remained when the

scoreboard next changed. The first - and only - points of the half went to Bankies when for

once Endrick’s defence nodded to concede Clydebank’s second try, this time converted.

Endrick put in one final effort to secure the try bonus but when they were awarded a penalty

just outside the visitors’ 22 they decided that a tap and drive was too much trouble and

opted for a kick at goal. Astonishingly Sam Greenock, faced with his easiest kick of the

afternoon pushed his attempt wide.

Endrick: Anderson, Beaumont, Train, Mundell, McGill, Duff, Greenock, Campbell, Gibson, Bruce, Calderwood, Eckersley, Mundell, Ogilvy and MacKay. Replacements Dave Beaumont, Doyle, McGhie.