Endrick on top form against Strathaven

After a narrow defeat away to Clyebank last week, Endrick made amends with a confidnet 80-0 victory against Strathaven at Ruth Menzies Field.

With the wind on their backs Endrick wasted no time in taking the game to the visitors’

22. Their forward pressure paid off after only three minutes when a tap penalty by Stuart

Forsyth let Stuart Campbell rumble towards the line for Duncan McEwan to finish the job

with his first try of the season. Drew McDonald slammed in the conversion for the first

of 10 out of 12 successful kicks.

Ten minutes later Endrick’s dominant pack paved the way for Stuart Forsyth to add the next

try. The scrum half looked to be on his way for another try when he tried to reach the

line after a couple of quick penalties. Each time he was illegally thwarted close to the

line and the referee caused some resentment in the visiting ranks when he deemed that the

offences merited the award of a penalty try. That put Endrick up with the clock with 21

points in 20 minutes.

On the half hour Kerr McMillan charged over for the try which secured the bonus point and

with the final move of the first half - again from a quick penalty - Conor Gibson shunted

aside the opposition for the fifth try to give Endrick a very comfortable 35-0 lead.

With that cushion Endrick could afford to shuffle the team but that made no difference to

their commitment and within a minute of the restart Kerr McMillan added another try. This

time however the wind took charge of the kick from the touchline and Drew McDonald had

his first miss of the match.

Two minutes later he was back on song when he added the extra points after Stuart

Forsyth scored. In 54 minutes Douglas Beaumont threw in a gem when he elegantly swerved

round several tackles to open his try account. Drew McDonald helped to celebrate by

nudging the score along to 54-0.

Sam Greenock marked his first outing of the season by dancing round a sorely perplexed

defence for Endrick’s ninth try. For a bit of variety Duncan McEwan tore up his front

five union card and galloped from his own half, outpacing Strathaven’s backs to take the

try count into double figures. Doug Beaumont scored his second try and for only the

second time in the match Drew McDonald was off target. He did have the satisfaction of

ending the match with a scoring kick after Kerr McMillan had harried the defence into

yielding try No 12. This was a bit of a milestone for the veteran forward whose hat-trick

of tries was his first ever in a league match.

This Saturday Endrick are at home to Stewartry in a league match. Kick-off is at 2pm.

Endrick: McDonald, Beaumont, Bruce, Mundell, Phillips, Campbell, Forsyth, Campbell, McNeill, Gibson, Gourlie, McEwan, McKay, McMillan, Allan, replacements: Davies, Doyle, Greenock, McVean, Ross.