Endrick bounce back with a victory after lay-off

RBS West League - Div 2

After five weeks of enforced idleness Endrick were pleased to be in action again last Saturday at Fintry.

The visitors took an early lead from a penalty but the situation changed when Dougie Duff finished off a good move with the first of his three tries. Sam Greenock added the extras to put his side 7-3 ahead.

Stewartry then carried the game into Endrick territory but the home defence withstood the pressure and 20 minutes had gone before the visitors narrowed the gap to a single point with their second successful penalty.

The Fintry reply was not long delayed. Jez Thomas created the chance by winning the ball on halfway and crashing through a couple of tackles before unloading to Dougie Duff. He eluded his markers to race in for his second try. Greenock landed the conversion but that was to be his last contribution for the day - a leg knock forcing him to retire. Steve Gordon replaced him.

Endrick completed the first half scoring ten minutes before the break when Shammy Ogilvy took on all comers to batter his way to the line from halfway. Ben Anderson converted.

Less than two minutes into the second half Endrick made sure of the try bonus. Jez Thomas did the spadework for this but his break was supported by debutant Gordon who made his mark with his first try. Ben Anderson converted.

Stewartry fought back, but the home defence was up to the job. They did however yield in 54 minutes when the Stewartry stand-off slipped away from some casual tackling to run in their first try. The conversion took the score to 28-13.

Endrick returned to the attack and midway through the half won a penalty on the visitors’ 22. After due deliberation it was decided that, with the bonus point already in the bag, there was no need to set up position for an attacking line-out and Anderson settled for a successful kick at goal for a 31-13 lead.

The three points instead of five or seven proved to be no sacrifice at all because Jez Thomas collected the restart kick and made a lot of 
valuable ground before bringing Dougie Duff into the action. The fly-half rounded off a fine afternoon with his third try - a second hat-trick in successive games. Anderson 
kept his kicking record intact with his fourth 
successful kick.

Endrick were put under pressure for the last 15 minutes but defended well 
until the final minute when the visitors scored their 
second try.

Endrick: K.Campbell, B.Anderson, T.Moore, J.Thomas, S.McGill, D.Duff, S.Greenock, M.O’Connell,C.Gibson, R.Bruce, E.MacKay, J.Eckersley, B.Holmes, A.Vickers and J.Ogilvy, repl. R.Atherton, Dave Beaumont, Doug Beaumont, S.Campbell, G.Davies and S.Gordon.

This Saturday Endrick go to Callander for a league fixture with McLaren. Kick-off is 3pm.