Cup flops Partick pay the penalty - once again

Hamilton Accies 1

Partick Thistle 0

Ramsdens Challenge Cup Second Round

PARTICK Thistle will be keen to banish the memories of their last two games when they crashed out of the Challenge Cup courtesy of another dodgy penalty decision on Tuesday.

Thistle had the better of the opening exchanges but Johnny Lindsay shot was a bit too straight to trouble Accies goalie Tomas Cerny.

Thistle captain David Rowson lifted the travelling support’s morale with a shot on seven minutes which went just wide and opportunities were few for the home side as Thistle worked hard to close down any attacks from them.

In 22 minutes the visitors got a half chance when Chris Erskine, operating on the right side of midfield, combined well with Paul Paton, whose near post cross was headed wide by Martin Grehan.

Entering the last third of the first half Accies stepped up a gear with Martin Canning stretching Scott Fox with a header.

Three minutes later Fox was in action again, this time against Derek Lyle’s downward header.

The visitors were struggling to clear the ball and twice Accies came close to punishing them for that.

Hamilton came close to scoring in the 40th minute when poor Thistle defending let Simon Mensing go directly in on the Thistle goal.

But from just outside the six yard box he could only manage to knock the ball over the bar, much to the Jags’ relief.

Aaron Sinclair then turned the tables with a rare break, unleashing a shot from 25 yards that went just over Cerny’s crossbar.

Hamilton started the second half as they meant to go on and Scott Robertson did well to head a dangerous cross to safety in the 52nd minute.

Chris Erskine was closed down just as he was about to shoot after Cairney had fed him a lovely pass.

Accies came close to the opener on 58 minutes. Grant Gillespie’s shot looked net bound only for Fox to get a hand to the ball.

The replacement of Grehan by Kris Doolan almost produced Thistle’s desperately needed goal in the 65th minute.

He collected a pass from Paul Cairney but his shot was blocked.

Thistle’s body blow came with five minutes remaining when a dubious penalty decision was awarded against Scott Robertson. Scott Fox went the right way but James Chambers’ penalty found the corner of the net.

Partick Thistle: Fox, Paton, Lindsay, Cairney, Balatoni, Robertson, Sinclair, Rowson, Grehan, Stewart, Erskine.

Attendance: 1,362