Baljaffray U19s clinch victory in windy conditions

This match at Colquhoun Park Bearsden kicked off in terrible conditions and saw Baljaffray clinch a 2-1 victory over their rivals Giffnock Saltire.

The conditions were not conducive for a flowing game in this Paisley & Johnstone District League Division two game, however it was Baljaffray who opened the scoring when striker Dave Fraser played a pass across goal to Paul Hill.

He composed himself and scored his first goal of the campaign with a powerful effort that flew past the Giffnock keeper.

In such windy conditions chances were few and far between, however, Baljaffray centreback Nico McLeod was making the most of the conditions with his menacing long throws causing the Giffnock keeper problems.

As the half went on Baljaffray started to create more chances. Liam Fergusson latched onto a long pass but he failed to direct his shot goalwards.

Baljaffray then created a great chance to increase their lead. Skipper Danny Whittam played the ball to Fraser in the box and he passed onto Whittam who mishit it, but it then fell to Fergusson who tucked the ball home. However the referee disallowed it because of offside.

Giffnock had a great chance of their own to level when they broke quickly, but the forward screwed his shot wide under pressure from McLeod.

Into the second half and it was Baljaffray’s turn to battle against the strong winds. However, the back four of Darren O’Hanlon, McLeod, Reece Donnelly and Chris Keenan stood strong and dealt with the unpredictable flight of the ball expertly.

Giffnock pushed forward to create a number of good chances, but Baljaffray’s goalkeeper Mick Quinn was up to the test and pulled off a number of saves.

In the 55th minute Giffnock were reduced to 10 men when one of their players was injured, and they had no one to replace him.

Eight minutes later Baljaffray produced a good move down the right which resulted in a cross from substitute Lewis Gibbons, finding Fraser, who knocked the ball back to Fergusson, sparing a goal mouth scramble. Fergusson was first to react prodding the ball home to extend Baljaffray’s lead.

The second goal gave Baljaffray a cushion which was needed as 15 minutes later Giffnock pulled a goal back. However it was too little too late and Balfaffray held on to their one goal advantage.