Baljaffray Thistle faced tough encounter

Baljaffray Thistle lost four goals to nil when they faced Glennifer in the Scottish Cup round two.

This Scottish Cup fixture was always going to be a tough test for Baljaffray under 19s after being drawn against last year’s Paisley and Johnstone District First Division League champions Glennifer Thistle.

However, Baljaffray went into the game full of confidence after a strong start to the season.

Manager Fred Musleh, being aware of the strong opposition, and being without a number of key players, opted for a more cautious formation than usual of 4-5-1.

The early exchanges would appear to justify Baljaffray’s more defensive approach with Glennifer dominant in possession. Eleven minutes in and Glennifer were awarded a corner which was poorly defended by Baljaffray and the ball was scrambled in at the near post.

Despite this early set back Baljaffray fought back with a speculative shot from Callum McConnachie forcing the Glennifer keeper to tip the ball over the bar.

It was proving difficult to create clear cut chances and both sides were being restricted to shooting from range, Kriss Todd coming closest for Baljaffray with a 30 yard shot going just wide of the post.

Baljaffray were beginning to find some success down the right wing Lewis Gibbons finding Daniel Whittam whose penetrating cross was narrowly missed by McConnachie on the half-hour mark.

As the half was drawing to a close the Baljaffray defence of Lewis James, Nico Macleod, Reece Donnelly, Scott Mcpherson and Craig Ferguson all stood firm in their determination not to concede a second.

However, a free kick was awarded to Glenifer on the stroke of half-time on the edge of the box. The resulting shot saw the Baljaffray keeper, Mick Quinn, make a comfortable save leaving the half time score at 1-0 to Glennifer.

The second half started with Baljaffray making changes partly through injury and a necessity to go in search of an equaliser.

The hard working Arun Khaira was moved to a more advanced role and Jordan Lindsay replaced Gibbons in central midfield.

This more attack minded formation was always going to be risky and so it proved when on 51 minutes the Baljaffray defence was split wide open and Glennifer got their second goal.

Despite Baljaffray working hard they were finding it difficult to control the midfield.

Glennifer’s dominance was rewarded with a third goal on 63 minutes.

Baljaffray had to dig deep and call on all of their experience to try and get something out of this game. On the hour mark a good move on the right wing between Todd and James resulted in a good cross which was scrambled away by Glennifer.

Having spent most of the afternoon chasing the game Baljaffray were beginning to tire and it came as no surprise when Glennifer got their fourth, sealing Baljaffray’s fate.

To their credit Baljaffray fought to the end with another great move down the right seeing Todd’s shot going just over the bar.

The fighting spirit of Baljaffray was demonstrated with another magnificent save from Quinn with two minutes to go. Bearsden Dental Care player of the day was Scott McPherson.

After a tough afternoon Baljaffray look forward to league duty again were they remain unbeaten and top of the league.

Baljaffray Thistle: Quinn, James, Fergusson, McLeod, Donnelly, McPherson, Gibbons, Khaira , Whittam, Todd, McConnachie, Subs used: Lindsay, Keenan, Hill, Boyd.