Ahead of a Scottish Government nuisance calls summit, new research from Which finds Scots are receiving more nuisance calls each month than those in the rest of the UK.
Figures show that 29 per cent of Scottish residents said that they received 11 or more nuisance calls in the last month, compared to 17 per cent in the rest of the UK. Overall, eight in ten (83 per cent) people in Scotland say they have received nuisance calls on their landline.
People in Scotland are also significantly more likely to receive unsolicited calls on their landline about energy deals, home improvement and energy efficiency, with four in 10 (38 per cent) people saying they received calls relating to energy efficiency compared to one in five (18 per cent) in the rest of the UK. PPI, accident claims and silent calls continue to be the main reasons for nuisance calls both in Scotland and the rest of the UK.
Although people in Scotland receive more nuisance calls, they’re more likely than the rest of the UK to try to block unwanted callers. Six in ten (60 per cent) of those who reported picking up nuisance calls said that, in the last 12 months, they have asked to be removed from a database after receiving a nuisance call. This compares to more than half (53 per cent) for the UK.
Scots are also more aware of the Telephone Preference Service, with over half (51 per cent) of those with a landline confirming they had registered. A similar percentage of nearly six in ten (58 per cent) said they had also asked not to be called again.
This week the Scottish Government hosted its first nuisance calls summit with industry and consumer groups to consider the latest research and proposed next steps for tackling the issue.
Since Which? launched its ‘Stop Nuisance Calls in Scotland’ campaign in December 2015, more than 25,000 have signed the petition calling on the Scottish Government to take action. Which? is calling on the Scottish Government to publish an action plan for tackling nuisance calls that includes the following measures:
- Pressure on Scottish businesses to adopt voluntary changes and make senior executives personally accountable if companies breach the law on nuisance calls - more than eight in ten (82 per cent) Scots agree this should happen
- More help for vulnerable people - such as installing call blocking technology
- Ensuring the Scottish Government’s own policies, on increasing energy efficiency for example, don’t lead to more nuisance calls.
The Telephone Preference Service have more info online.