There was a sad ending to the search by an animal charity for the owners of a chicken who flew the coop.
The Scottish SPCA was alerted after the bird was spotted straying at Lion Bank in the middle of Kirkintilloch at the weekend.
Welfare officers said the chicken had a telephone cable attached to its legs when it was found.
But they then discovered the bird was suffering from a nasty bacterial infection of its feet called ‘Bumblefoot’.
A Scottish SPCA officer told the Herald: “Unfortunately, the infection was so bad the poor wee thing had to be put down before the owner could be found.
“There was nothing we could do for it.”
She added: “We would like to thank everyone for their help in trying to trace its owner.”