Poisoning suspected in death of two pet cats

One of the cats alleged to have been poisoned.
One of the cats alleged to have been poisoned.

A pet owner went through the heartbreak of having to put down her beloved cats after they were poisoned in a suspected deliberate attack.

Kimberley Mills (24), from East Dunbartonshire, became suspicious when her two young cats, Ash and Mylo, started showing symptoms including vomiting and bleeding.

One of the cats alleged to have been poisoned.

One of the cats alleged to have been poisoned.

They were outdoor cats and she thinks that this was a deliberate attempt to cause harm to animals.

Kimberley, who lives in Kirkintilloch, said: “Two of my cats became ill very rapidly and I rushed them to the vet.

“He said it’s as simple as leaving poison on the ground and it smells sweet so they want it.

“They walk on it and then lick their paw.

“I just want to let people know that it’s not a one off. I don’t want anyone else to have to go through the same as I have.”

She added that they possibly came into contact with the poison on a grass area close to her home. Auchinloch Cats Protection Adoption Centre manager, Andy Currie, said: “I am very saddened to hear about this terrible incident and would like to express my deepest sympathies to Kimberley.

“Cats Protection would encourage owners to watch their cats carefully – symptoms of this kind of poisoning include dizziness, loss of co-ordination and vomiting so, if a cat shows any of these signs, it must be taken to a vet immediately.

“I would urge anyone with any information about the poisonings to contact the SSPCA or local Police immediately.”

Kimberley has also heard of other cat poisonings in the past few days and she is worried that other cats might be affected.

The SSPCA advise that without evidence it is difficult to prove whether poisonings have been deliberate or accidental.

Scottish SPCA Chief Superintendent Mike Flynn said: “We are very sorry to hear of these sad incidents.”

He said that the incident could have simply been an accident but they also have to consider that someone could have left the substance out to cause harm to animals.

“Residents should check their sheds and garages for any accidental spillages and make sure that they dispose of it in the proper manner as it could save an animal’s life,” he added.

Anyone with information about this incident or any other similar cases are urged to report it to the SSPCA by calling 03000 999 999.

They will keep a record of all animal poison cases and investigate if there are any patterns.