PEOPLE in Milngavie and Bearsden are being urged to get a free home fire safety visit.
Firefighters are warning that blazes can happen at any time, pointing out that there were more than 6000 house fires in Scotland last year.
Most of these happened to people who thought they were not at rick.
In almost half of these fires, there was no working smoke alarm installed, or no smoke alarm at all.
As Christmas approaches, people are being encouraged to make sure they take simple steps to reduce the chances of having a fire in the home – the most important step being to install working smoke alarms and test them weekly.
And with smoking and drinking continuing to be common factors in accidental house fires in Scotland, being extra vigilant when putting out cigarettes and avoiding cooking whilst under the influence of alcohol can significantly reduce the risk.
That’s where the free home fire safety chacks xcan be a life saver.
Alex Clark, from the fire service, said: “Firefighters know all too well that fire can strike at anytime and anywhere.
“We respond to these incidents every day in Scotland and we see the devastating consequences of accidental house fires and the impact they have on families and our communities.
“Last year, over 1,200 people were hurt or injured as a result of fire in the home.
“Historically as we go into the winter months we see a rise in the number of accidental fires, due to people spending more time in their homes, an increased reliance on heaters, tumble dyers and electric blankets and the use of log and coal burning fires.
“I would urge people to take the time to think about taking up the opportunity of a free home fire safety visit from their local Fire and Rescue Service. It could save your life one day.”
To request a visit, text FIRE to 61611 or visit www.dontgivefireahome.org