Parents warned over liquitabs

A CAMPAIGN has been launched highlighting the dangers detergent liquitabs can pose to children.

East Dunbartonshire Council is supporting a child safety message circulated by RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) about the dangers of poisoning.

Yorkhill Hospital for Sick Children has recently reported an increase in the number of cases involving toddlers ingesting liquitabs, which are commonly used in dishwashers and washing machines.

Young children can be attracted to these due to their bright colouring and soft texture but they can result in life-threatening injury.

Liquitabs generally don’t come packaged in child proof containers and contain strong alkali which, if swallowed, can result in swelling of the toddler’s airway. Kenny Simpson, head of the council’s housing and community services, said: “Toddlers are mobile, inquisitive and often put objects in their mouths.

“Liquitabs are the kind of product that toddlers could easily be attracted to so we advise parents and carers to ensure these products are stored safely at all times, out of sight and reach of young children, preferably in a locked cupboard. ”

Jennifer Henderson, home safety officer at RoSPA Scotland, said: “We were recently alerted to a number of serious illnesses in toddlers in Scotland as a result of the ingestion of liquid detergent from capsules.

“Doctors have also previously raised awareness of the risk of eye injuries to young children who get liquid detergent in their eyes.”