The new £5.29 million Lennoxtown Community Hub opened its doors to residents for the first time yesterday (Monday, February 8).
Located in the heart of Lennoxtown on the town’s Main Street, the new building brings East Dunbartonshire Council, library, leisure and cultural services under one roof.
There are also healthcare services - including GP surgeries - in conjunction with NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde.
The network of Community Hubs is a key aspect of the council’s programme to continue to deliver customer services locally throughout East Dunbartonshire.
The first Hub facility was opened at the William Patrick Library building in Kirkintilloch in August 2012.
Council leader Rhondda Geekie said: “The development of the Community Hub has seen a £5.29m investment by the Council within Lennoxtown town centre and is a key element of our commitment to supporting development within the area.
“I am delighted that we have delivered a modern, functional and vibrant building for the people of Lennoxtown and the surrounding area that will provide opportunities for a broad range of community activity.
“Community Hubs are an important element of our long-term vision for effective, efficient, customer-focused services in East Dunbartonshire. The Hub will bring together Council, library, leisure and cultural services - as well as health facilities - in an exciting and innovative way making it easier for residents to access information and a wide range of services.
“I am delighted we can deliver these key services - some of them not delivered in Lennoxtown before such as licensing and registration - to the community.”
A range of council and trust services will be provided in the Hub, including:
- Payment kiosk - accepting cash, cheque and card payments for all Council services
- Answering enquiries about Council Tax, benefits, housing and more
- Accepting and validating application forms, including taxis, civic licences, education and more
- Blue badge applications (including lodging of application and payment, taking photos and assessing for automatic grant of badge)
- Registration of births and deaths - the registration district of Lennoxtown is being re-introduced and will be shown on certificates again after an absence of over 10 years
- Private meeting rooms for confidential business
- IT facilities to support employability activities
- Enhanced Social Work services
- A brand new community library
Customer Services will be open 9am to 8pm on Monday and Wednesday, 9am to 6pm on Tuesday and Thursday, and 9am until 5pm every Friday.
Library Services will be available from 10am to 8pm on Monday and Wednesday, 10am to 6pm on Tuesday and Thursday, and 10am until 5pm every Friday.