East Dunbartonshire MP Jo Swinson, who almost died from an allergic reaction to nuts this summer, has backed a campaign to highlight the availability of emergency treatment in pharmacies.
The LibDem MP went into anaphylactic shock after she accidentally ate a snack containing nuts at a charity cake sale in May.
She started to feel unwell and needed a life-saving adrenaline injection at hospital.
Ms Swinson has now helped to launch an awareness campaign by Community Pharmacy Scotland (CPS), which represents the owners of Scotland’s 1250 community pharmacies.
She said; “I was immensely grateful for the prompt and excellent medical treatment I received at Glasgow’s Southern General Hospital when I had to use my adrenaline injector.
“Anaphylaxis is an extreme and severe allergic reaction which can affect the whole body within minutes, though sometimes it takes hours.
“It’s always important for those with severe allergies to have an adrenalin injector with them, either an EpiPen or Jext, both of which you can get with a prescription here in Scotland.
“I whole-heartedly support the Community Pharmacy Scotland campaign and their work to improve access to emergency treatment.
“I would encourage pharmacists, and anyone else for that matter, to spread the message of the importance of giving adrenalin and calling an ambulance as soon as possible after someone reacts.”
Allergic reactions causing anaphylactic shock causes up to 30 people to die in the UK per year.