HISTORIC buildings throughout the area are going to be open to members of the public on Doors Open Day, Saturday, September 8.
The Scottish ‘Doors Open Days’ event is now in its twenty-second year and the idea behind it is simple – to open up buildings for free that are normally closed to the public or usually have an entrance charge.
This is the fourteenth year that East Dunbartonshire has taken part and a variety of places will open their doors in Milngavie and Bearsden.
These include The Lillie Art Gallery on Station Road, which celebrates its fiftieth anniversary this year, The Corbie Ha’ on Ashfield Road, which is an original stone cottage of Ashfield Farm, now the home of Milngavie Pipe Band, St Andrew’s Scottish Episcopal Church on Park Road - the site dates back to at least 1880 when it was a house with adjoining hall known as St Andrew’s Mission, St Joseph’s Parish Church on Station Road, St Paul’s Parish Church on Baldernock Road and Allander Evangelical Church on Douglas Street.
In Bearsden, Kilmardinny House Arts Centre on Kilmardinny Avenue will be open - this Georgian Mansion was formerly one of the most significant residences in Bearsden, occupied by a succession of influential families and New Kilpatrick Parish Church, Manse Road, Bearsden, which was built in 1808 on the site of the original church of 1649. Enlargements include an extension by architect Henry Higgins. There is also a fine collection of stained glass and some seventeenth century gravestones (in the south-east corner of the churchyard).
Mugdock Castle at Mugdock Country Park near Milngavie, will be open for tours. This fourteenth century castle sits on a volcanic ridge on the edge of Mugdock Loch. Although mostly a consolidated ruin, the castle’s South West Tower has been rebuilt and the interior interpreted. In particular the mid-seventeenth century period is celebrated, and especially its famous owner of that period, James Graham, Marquis of Montrose.
There will also be guided historical walks around Milngavie throughout the day, starting from Milngavie Town Hall, including ‘Railway Station’ walks (30 minutes) at 11am and 3pm and a one-hour ‘Woodburn Villas’ walk at 1pm. These will explain how Provost John Woodburn had a key role in developing this part of Milngavie as a commuter suburb, over 100 years ago.
For further information please contact East Dunbartonshire Leisure & Culture Trust by phoning 0141 7773142 or email: Culture@eastdunbarton.gov.uk
FOURTEENTH CENTURY CASTLE . . . historic Mugdock Castle is just one of the interesting places which will be open to allow the public to see inside on Doors Open Day. (Ref: NEW10.JPG)