Historic Milngavie water fountain vandalised

<KENOX S760  / Samsung S760>
<KENOX S760 / Samsung S760>

Vandals have damaged a 110-year-old public drinking well in Milngavie so often its owners say it may have to be closed down.

The drinking well, which was re-instated in December 2009 in response to demand from the then MSP Des McNulty and local people, has been damaged on four occasions in the past few years.

Most recently, pipework within the A-listed structure and the tap were stolen.

Scottish Water, the well’s owner, has had them replaced but is warning that it cannot afford to continue carrying out repairs.

The fountain is between the Mugdock and Craigmaddie reservoirs and the well had previously been decommissioned due to vandalism.

Mark Maclaren, Scottish Water’s regional communities team manager, said: “We said when the drinking well was re-instated five years ago that we hoped there would not be a problem with vandalism but, unfortunately, there has been. Scottish Water has had the latest damage repaired but we are calling on the vandalism to stop.

“We can not guarantee that the apparatus will not be tampered with or vandalised again and would advise members of the public to take due care to ensure they are happy with the well’s condition and cleanliness before using it.”

Milngavie councillor Jim Gibbons said: “The drinking well is part of Milngavie’s heritage and it is very important that local people are able to use it.

“I would echo Scottish Water’s call on those responsible for the vandalism to stop immediately.

“If they don’t, we risk losing the use of the well and that would be a real shame for the people of Milngavie, and visitors, who use the area for recreational purposes.”

Police Scotland’s local area commander, Chief Inspector Rob Hay, added: “It is regrettable that anti-social behaviour by a small number of people threatens the existence of this facility that is provided for all. Any person with information on who is responsible should contact the police on 101 or contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”