Gas leak near Bearsden Academy

THERE was a major gas leak near Bearsden Academy and the building site for a new care home on Wednesday, after workmen accidentally hit a gas pipeline.

Scottish Gas Networks was called to the area near Stockiemuir Road, Bearsden, at around 3pm after the gas main was broken by workmen carrying out construction work.

A large area of the road had to be fenced off, causing delays for motorists.

Gas engineers were called out to the new Mugdock House Care Home, which is due to open in January next year, to fix the problem after the alarm was raised. A spokeswoman for Scottish Gas Networks, said: “The situation has been made safe and the gas leak was isolated.”