Free home insulation available

RESIDENTS in Bearsden and Milngavie can cut their energy bills and stay warmer throughout the winter by taking up an offer of free home insulation.

East Dunbartonshire Council (EDC) has successfully secured funding from the Scottish Government to offer the Universal Home Insulation Scheme as part of its ongoing commitment to promote home energy conservation and efficiency.

The council has also secured a further £405,000 to continue the scheme in the next financial year (2012/13).

EDC says it is working closely with its appointed contractor, Everwarm Limited, to promote and deliver this initiative throughout the area.

If your home is suitable, and is not already well insulated, it will provide cavity wall insulation and loft insulation (which includes the insulation of all pipes and tanks) completely free of charge regardless of your household income. It can also pay for some additional measures like scaffolding or loft clearance if you need extra help to get the work done.

To check if your home can benefit from either or both of these measures, call Everwarm on 01506 638600.

They can make an appointment for one of their surveyors to come to your home and check out what work can be done.

Councillor Amanda Stewart, convener of the council’s housing and community services committee, said: “This is an excellent opportunity for home owners. Fuel bills are a concern to us all and with prices continuing to rise, bills are only going to increase. Anything we can do to help cut bills now and into the future is worth pursuing so I’d encourage the people of East Dunbartonshire to find out more and apply.”

East Dunbartonshire Council is also offering tailored energy advice and one to one support where needed, to all residents in the council area.

Home assessors can visit you in your home to chat about other ways you can save money and make your home more energy efficient. They can help you to obtain the best deals on gas and electricity, help understand and simplify fuel bills, tariffs and meter readings as well as acting on your behalf with utility suppliers, to deal with fuel arrears and payment plans.