MILNGAVIE’s popular annual fireworks display has been snuffed out this year due to a lack of funding.
Last year we reported that the pyrotechnic display, which has been held in the West of Scotland rugby ground for the past nine years, was under threat because the organisers were unable to find permanent funding for the event.
Organised by The Bearsden and Milngavie Highland Games committee to raise money for the Games, it is expensive to run - last year’s fireworks cost £5,200.
Organiser Alan Oliver said that a plan to make the event free to the public unfortunately failed to come to fruition - because they didn’t get the backing of Bearsden and Milngavie’s community councils.
He had wanted them - as well as East Dunbartonshire Council (EDC) - to contribute £1,000 each every year to give the event a secure funding stream so they didn’t need to rely on recouping costs on the door on the night.
Mr Oliver says that takings on the night were always a bit of a lottery as turnout can be affected by the weather, what day of the week November 5 falls on and how many people watch the show from the surrounding streets rather than paying for admission.
A guaranteed funding stream would have meant that people would not have been charged for entry, and the fun fair and food stalls would have had more custom.
However, he said that although EDC agreed to the plan, the community councils did not.