Down Memory Lane


100 YEARS AGO – 
noVEMBER 8, 1912

A YOUNG lad called John McMaster, a caulker’s assistant aged 17, residing at 60 Sinclair Street, Milngavie, was found dead in the hold of a ship which was being fitted out at Meadowside shipyard, Partick. It was supposed that McMaster, who was at work on the vessel, fell into the hold as he was preparing to leave the ship on Wednesday afternoon, and he lay there overnight. Medical examinations showed that his skull was fractured.

AT a meeting of the Socialist Party many issues were discussed including ‘clearing the slums’ in Glasgow. A member of the party said ‘the health of the citizens is one of the chief matters which should engage the council’. They added: “The slums should be cleared out, no matter what it costs. At the same time one might ask - will slumdom then cease? I will say not. It is the people who made the slums, and you must change their habits. That, however, will take time.”

NOVEMBER 6, 1937

A RARE bird was found at Ellangowan Paper Mill in Milngavie. The King Fisher, which had magnificent plumage, was subsequently taken to the police office, but was not detained, and was given its freedom once more.

A RESCUE party walked two miles over rough 
moorland country on Sunday night to bring back a 22-year-old Glasgow youth, James Herd, 6 Kay Street, Springburn, who was injured when climbing the precipitous cliffs of the Whangie, on Stockiemuir Road, near Bearsden. One of Herd’s friends remained with him while other members of the party returned across the hills to Stockiemuir Road to get help. They ran to a camp in the vicinity where they ‘transmitted a telephone message to Glasgow requesting the assistance of an ambulance waggon’. Herd was taken to The Western Infirmary in Glasgow where he was detained there suffering from serious leg and body injuries.

NOVEMBER 9, 1962

BEARSDEN Town Council recived a gift of £14,000 from Mr J.B. Talbot-Crosbie - the purchase price of the public halls at Bearsden Cross. This was announced by Hon. Treasurer J.F. Gay at the council meeting on 
Monday night. Mr Gay 
said: “Mr Talbot-Crosbie, who was and still is one of the original shareholders, supported the Burgh wholeheartedly in what they were trying to do, indicating that the public hall was always meant to remain as such, and that the prime purpose of the original shareholders was to provide facilities for the 
inhabitants to foregather and foster friendliness and 

SHOPKEEPERS and traders opposed a proposal that Main Street, Milngavie, should be restricted to 
one-way traffic. They argued that their customers would be inconvenienced and as 
a result their businesses would suffer. The suggestion for one way traffic was put before Milngavie Town Council some months ago. The idea was to have all 
traffic travelling towards Glasgow going along Main Street, while traffic passing along Park Road would 
be coming in from the direction of Glasgow. Buses 
already used the route. It was hoped that this would relieve traffic congestion in Main Street.

NOVEMBER 6, 1987

McGarry described the increased membership charges for the Allander Sports 
Centre as ‘incomprehensible, irrational and without 
justification’. The charges had been recommended at the last meeting of the leisure and recreation committee and Councillor McGarry accused committee members of neatly trumping up the figures. At a full District Council meeting, he said: “The only answer here is to take these figures back to committee and rethink them 

LAND at Gavin’s Mill car park was being considered for public sector housing. This decision was taken 
reluctantly at a full District Council meeting following protracted and, at times, heated discussion. The move to keep the land in council ownership came following a request to purchase the undisclosed area of ground by a private developer.

NOVEMBER 8, 2002

RIVAL gangs carrying knives and other offensive weapons were using the Internet to challenge each other to running battles in the streets. Police believed that youths from Milngavie and Bearsden and further afield were using e-mail and a website to goad each other and plan vicious stand-offs which have left residents too terrified to venture outdoors after dark.

THE annual White Lily charity ball, which was in its ninth year, raise over £35,000 bringing the figure for this year to more than £50,000 and a total of £310,000 since the charity was founded. This year’s event although financially successful, was tinged with sadness with the passing of the mother of founder member Angela Bruno just a month ago. Filomena D’Aguanno was involved with the Bearsden based charity from the earliest days - working quietly in the background.