Down Memory Lane


100 YEARS AGO - October 11, 1912

MR GEORGE S Logan from Montgomerie Street, Kelvinside died suddenly in Milngavie Golf Club house at about 5.15pm. He had been visiting the course along with a friend (Mr H C Macdonald from Doune Terrace, Kelvinside, who is a member of Milngavie Club). After playing a round they agreed to have another seven holes. During this game Mr Logan complained of indigestion, but it seemed to have worn off on approaching the club house. On entering the smoke-room, however, the Herald reported “he fell to the floor and expired”. Dr John Reid, who attended, said he died from an apoplectic seizure. This was the second death of a similar nature that has taken place on Milngavie course within the last six months.



IN Cairns U.F. Church on Sunday morning, Rev T B Hogarth referred to the late Mr George Barclay, Catriona, in prayer. Mr Barclay was one of the managers of the church and the Rev prayed first for the helpless and the weak, for suffering children everywhere, and for all who were now passing through seasons of affliction and great trial, so that they might know that they had in God a refuge and a strength.

75 YEARS AGO - October 9, 1937

CARNEGIE hero, John Espie from Lennox Avenue, Milngavie, died suddenly while employed in his regular occupation as a watchman with the Albion Motor Company at Hawick Street, Yoker. He was seen falling and the Herald reported: “when he was picked up life was found to be extinct.” Mr Espie, who was 70 years old, was a native of Milngavie, and a well-known personality. He had the distinction of being a Carnegie hero after he rescued a child from drowning in the Allander in 1913. The Carnegie Hero Fund awarded his bravery by presenting him with an Honorary Parchment certificate along with some money.

THE Post Office was praised after a letter posted at Colchester reached Milngavie with the following address - “Mrs J E Dunn, 6 Milgrave Road, Scotland.” It was handed to Mrs Dunn, 6 Craigdhu Road, who found that the letter was indeed for her! Several places had been tried before it reached Milngavie.



50 YEARS AGO - October 12, 1962

THE population of Bearsden had reached 19,000 and by the next year it was expected to exceed 20,000. This was the total necessary for the Town Council to apply for status as a large burgh. Bearsden was a small burgh at this time, but if it got large burgh status the council would be able to sever still further its connection with Dunbarton County Council. For example, as a large burgh the council will be the town’s sole planning authority, and would not have to refer town planning matters to the County Council as at present.

AT Bearsden Police Court, Bailie Murray said: “This is a very serious charge and I hope you are sorry for what you have done.” He was speaking to 18-year-old apprentice engineer Joseph Alexander O’Brien of Moodiesburn Street, Provanmill, Glasgow, who was charged with driving without “L” plates while he had a provisional licence, driving without a qualified passenger and for going the wrong way on Canniesburn roundabout. Bailie Murray fined the accused £10 or 60 days in prison and said that this was a very dangerous part of the roadway and had caused many accidents.

25 YEARS AGO - October 9, 1987

THE Kessington area of Bearsden came to a standstill on Monday following a combined armed robbery and bomb scare. The raid took place early in the afternoon when a young man, apparently armed, entered The Bank of Scotland and demanded money. He made his escape with “thousands of pounds” after leaving behind what he told staff was a bomb. There were no customers in the bank at the time and no one saw the robber make his get-away. The police arrived on the scene within minutes and cordoned off 150 yards of Milngavie Road from Kessington to Buchanan Drive and the Army Bomb Disposal Squad were summoned from their base in Edinburgh.

MUGDOCK Country Park near Milngavie was the venue for the 1987 WATCH Acid Drops Project launch in Scotland - one of the most extensive acid rain surveys ever mounted. Young scientists of all nationalities set up DIY monitoring stations to test the activity of rain falling. The project was masterminded by WATCH, the junior branch of the Royal Society for Nature Conservation and Field Studies Council and was launched at Mugdock by the junior wing of the Scottish Wildlife Trust.

10 YEARS AGO - October 11, 2002

A GROUP of scholars from Douglas Academy needed to raise £4,000 to be able to represent Britain in a prestigious youth debating event in Italy the following month. The ten S6 and former S6 pupils, who were chosen the previous week to carry the United Kingdom flag at the next international session of the European Parliament, but they faced a tight deadline to raise the cash. Despite frantic calls to local businesses, charities and organisations, and also their own fundraising attempts, they had so far been unable to raise the money they needed to fund the trip as they only had £1,500.

CONCERN was growing about the danger posed by cars in Milngavie town centre. Lorraine King, a project manager with Quarriers, a charity supporting physically and mentally disabled adults in Milngavie, was angry that people without disabled badges are driving through and parking in the pedestrian precinct. She said: “They are spoiling it for disabled drivers who really need to be able to get easy access to the shops on the street.” A worker in the Cancer Research shop on Main Street said: “There’s more chance of getting run over in the precinct than on the M8!”