A dad was left with a bitter taste in his mouth after taking a swig of Asda’s own brand fruit juice - only to choke on a large piece of cardboard.
Award winning restaurant owner Raj Bajwe (50) bought a six pack of cartons in Bearsden’s Asda store recently for himself and 19 month old daughter Ruby.
But after drinking some of the mango juice straight from the carton he was shocked to find a piece of soggy blue cardboard, the size of the bottom of the container, stuck halfway down his throat.
He managed to cough it up and opened another carton to find that it also contained the same pieces of cardboard and so did a third carton, and even more worrying, this time it had fungus on it.
Furious Raj invited health experts from East Dunbartonshire Council to take samples of the juice and they are still investigating. He also returned the juice to Asda who apologised to him but didn’t offer him a refund or replacement product and didn’t take his name, address or phone number.
Raj, owner of Spice Garden in Glasgow, has catered for famous clientele including Michael Jackson, Sean Connery and Marti Pellow.
He said: “I nearly choked.When I unscrewed the lid there was no seal on it.
“Halfway through I felt something in my throat and coughed it up.
“I couldn’t believe what I saw - I had swallowed a large piece of wet cardboard.
“It’s very lucky that I never gave any to my daughter, there’s no doubt that she would have choked.
“It could have killed her.”
Diane Campbell East Dunbartonshire Council’s director of governance and regulation said: “Our Environmental Health Service is investigating this complaint.
“An officer visited the consumer and took samples of the juice which have been sent for testing at the laboratory. We have gathered information from the consumer and the retailer, and we will consider what action is appropriate when the cause of the complaint is identified.”
An Asda spokesperson said: “We’re sorry to hear that the product in question didn’t meet our usual high standards of quality and appreciate feedback from our customers. We have carried out a full investigation and are satisfied that this is an isolated incident.”