Mixed fortunes for Western Wildcats in league and cup games

Western Wildcats played Grove Menziesill in a league game at Auchenhowie last Saturday but lost 4-3.

Wildcats started the game in superb fashion dominating the early exchanges with David Mansouri and Alister MacDougall controlled the tempo with some great pass outs to the back which released Scott McCartney who moved the ball onto Charlie Hibbert. He won a penalty corner after his initial shot was saved.

There was no mistake from McCartney whose despatched the corner into the bottom left corner giving the keeper no chance.

Some poor defending allowed Menziehill to win a penalty corner on the break. A cruel deflection took the ball past Gavin Sommerville in goal. Western then took the game to Menziehill with some impressive attacking play.

Another break down the right involving Ross Clunie and Niall Sommerville resulted in McCartney unleashing an unstoppable reverse stick shot. Another attack down the right gave Ian Moodie a chance and there was no mistake from the Scotland International who drove his shot into the bottom corner.

Western were now well on top. Unfortunately another sloppy piece of play allowed Menziehill to intercept and win a penalty corner.

Luck deserted Western as another deflection gave Menziehill the goal to go into the break 3-2 up which very much flattered the opposition.

The second half was a scrappy affair with both teams struggling to get a stranglehold on the game. Western again started brightly carving out great chances. However Niall McLeod and Ian Moodie were unable to capitalise. Menziehill were clinical where Western were not and scored two open play goals after some poor defending. Western pushed on but to no avail.

In their second game on Sunday Wildcats had better luck beating Uddinston 8- 0 in a Scottish Cup game to book a place in the quarter finals.

This game was a potential banana skin encounter with some former Western players looking to get one over

their old club.

After some nervous exchanges Ian Moodie settled the nerves with a fantastic finish from the baseline finding a gap.

Western dominated the game after this. Calum Grant and Peter Martin controlled the defence who looked rock solid while launching attack after attack.

Scott McCartney was orchestrating attack after attack. A move involving Rhury Smith resulted in a tap in for Moodie.

A move up the right with Charlie Hibbert and Fraser Crawford left the Uddingston defence stranded with McCartney tapping in at the back post.

Another attack resulted in Moodie again scoring after good work from Joe McConnell and Niall McLeod to go four up at half time.

The second half started much the same with Western in control. Uddingston began to tire and a great move up the left ended up with Niall McLeod producing the pass of the match - a reverse stick cross from the left, straight onto the stick of Ian Moodie who continued his scoring with a deft deflection. Then another attack up the right and Ross Clunie played a defence splitting pass to McLeod who was hacked down by the keeper.

McCartney despatched the penalty flick with usual aplomb. McCartney and Moodie round off the scoring with another two goals.