MP Swinson’s fight for life after nut allergy scare

Jo Swinson'Photo Emma Mitchell'14/2/12

Jo Swinson'Photo Emma Mitchell'14/2/12

0
Have your say

MP Jo Swinson was left fighting for her life after she suffered a severe alergic reaction to a biscuit.

The Equalities Minister, who represents East Dunbartonshire, has a nut allergy but accidentally ate a snack containing nuts at a charity bake sale in Bishopbriggs on Saturday.

She went into anaphylactic shock and collapsed, struggling for breath.

The MP told how hospital staff kept her alive after she was rushed there by giving her an adrenaline injection from an Epipen.

She heaped praise on NHS workers for their actions, tweeting: “Huge appreciation to the fab staff at Southern General for keeping me alive.”

The MP (33), who was brought up in Milngavie, said: “Almost instantly I felt a tingling sensation so I knew I had unknowingly eaten a nut. It’s difficult to always know whether something contains nuts or not - and this time I got it wrong.

“The message I would really like to put out is that anyone with a nut allergy should always carry an Epipen”

“I had taken the precaution of writing out what had happened in case my throat swelled up so much I couldn’t speak. It was a very scary experience.

“Luckily, once you get the right treatment you recover very quickly from it - but the bottom line is that if you don’t get help, you can die.”

She was also given steroids and put on oxygen, and kept in overnight.

Ms Swinson urged anyone with a nut allergy to take precautions.

She said: “The message I would really like to put out is that anyone with a nut allergy should always carry an Epipen.”

“They should also make sure their friends know what to do to treat them.”