Milngavie man banned from reading in sauna as it’s a ‘potential fire hazard’

Alan Oliver pic of him reading Milngavie Herald. Is not allowed to read newspaper in sauna'30/10/11'Photo Emma Mitchell
Alan Oliver pic of him reading Milngavie Herald. Is not allowed to read newspaper in sauna'30/10/11'Photo Emma Mitchell

IT’S the simple pleasures in life that matter - and for one Bearsden man one of his favourite things was reading a newspaper in a sauna.

But Alan Oliver from Canniesburn in Bearsden was told that he wasn’t allowed to do this any more at Virgin Active health club in Milngavie (formerly Esporta) last week - because it was a potential fire hazard.

Mr Oliver joined Esporta almost two years ago along with his family specifically to use the pool facilities and in particular the sauna and jacuzzi.

Gemma Woodfield, PR manager at Milton Keynes head office, said: “Virgin Active and other health club operators have experienced sauna fires in the past resulting in significant club damage.

“Managing the presence of flammable materials in our saunas, including newspapers, is something our club staff have done over the years. We want all of our members to get the most they can out of our facilities, but sometimes we do need to do things to manage safety risks.”

For the full story - see this week’s Milngavie and Bearsden Herald

FED UP . . . Mr Oliver would have remained a member at Virgin Active, Milngavie, if he’d been allowed to continue to read his newspaper in the sauna. (Ref: m21712a/b)