St Joseph’s Nursery will remain open for the next two years - even if the council closes the primary school.
Nursery staff are reminding parents they can still enrol children with them as it will remain open until 2016 - even if the council builds a new merged school on the St Andrew’s Primary School site in Bearsden.
Parents say they will continue to fight to save the nursery - in a separate building within St Joseph’s Primary School grounds on North Campbell Avenue.
East Dunbartonshire Council plans to demolish the school and nursery after they have built the new school in 2016.
However, campaigning parents are going to challenge this by asking the Scottish Government to ‘call in’ the decision.
The council’s statutory consultation said that alternative accommodation could be offered to the nursery in the new school in Bearsden or they would help them to find alternative suitable accommodation. However the manager, Jean Aitken, says the nursery should stay in Milngavie.
She said: “Being in the school grounds is beneficial as the children can use the playground, visit the school and mix with the pupils, which makes the transition to school easier. We don’t support what the council is doing.”
The nursery has been there for 26 years and has 40 children on the register. It has secured funding for children aged three to five for the next two years.
A parent and voluntary committee member, Victoria Roger (31), said: “With the school still under threat it seems to be the general consensus that the nursery is closing, but that’s not the case.”
Gordon Currie, Director of Education and Children’s Services, said: “The nursery has a lease with the council to use the facility and we welcome their decision to continue using it for the next two years. We carried out in-depth consultation with all stakeholders on the proposal and took all their views into consideration and our consultation report details our response.
“We believe this poroposal will provide the best educational outcome for these young pupils. The Scottish Government now has four weeks to decide whether to call in the proposal for review.”