DCSIMG

Mystery of ‘missing’ names from war memorial is solved

Bearsden War Memorial
23rd July 2014
Pic: Roberto Cavieres

Bearsden War Memorial 23rd July 2014 Pic: Roberto Cavieres

The mystery surrounding ‘missing’ names from Bearsden war memorial has been solved.

John Gair from the U3A local history group explained that the four Anderson brothers, killed during WW1, don’t appear on the memorial because they didn’t live here. While their grandparents lived at Ledcameroch House in Bearsden (demolished in 1977) from 1857 - 1878, the family lived in Glasgow from 1900 - Woodside Terrace and later Lansdowne Crescent - and had a second house at Strathairly, Fife.

Mr Gair said: “There is a plaque in Glasgow Cathedral inscribed with ‘to the memory of four brothers, native to this city, who died for their country and in the cause of honour and freedom’. ”

Although the headstone in New Kilpatrick Churchyard, Bearsden, is inscribed to all the brothers, only the youngest, 21-year-old Edward Kerr Anderson, is buried there. Twenty-six-year-old Charles Hamilton Anderson fell at Givenchy - his body was never identified, 31-year-old Alexander Ronald Anderson fell at Vielle Chapelle and is buried in Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery and 36-year-old William Herbert Anderson VC fell at Maricourt and is buried in Peronne Road Cemetery.

Other memorials include their names at Sandyford Henderson Memorial Church, Cardross War Memorial, Fettes College War Memorial, Glasgow Academy War Memorial, Upper Largo Church Memorial, Largo Civic Memorial and Prestwick Golf Club where their father, William J Anderson C.B.E. was elected captain in 1918.

A book “The Way Home” by William Anderson’s great-grandson, Robin Scott-Elliot, contains a chronological collection of letters from 1905 onwards by the brothers.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page