A mother got a nasty shock when she discovered a shard of glass in mince she was about to feed to her six-year-old son, it was claimed.
Jhayne McLean, from Dougalston Gardens, in Milngavie, said the piece of glass was the length of her index finger .
The office worker is now worried that someone may be deliberately targeting the Tesco store in Milngavie , because this is the second alleged incident in a month involving glass.
The Herald recently reported about glass allegedly found in a Tesco tiramisu bought by Milngavie resident Les Stewart.
Jhayne said: “I bought the 250g pack, which was dated used by September 19, and was going to give it to my son Campbell, but he had already had something to eat and was getting ready to go to swimming, so I decided to eat it myself. I took a small bite and swallowed what I now know was a small piece of glass.
“But it wasn’t until the third or fourth mouthful that, to my horrow, I uncovered this shard of glass ,which was about one and a half inches long - the length of my index finger.”
Jhayne contacted Tesco and was told to bring the glass and packaging into the store, which she did.
She was assured the supermarket would look into the problem and has since received a letter from them saying how sorry they are, but offering no explanation into how the glass got into the food.
They did, however, give her a voucher for £25.
She added: “If someone is deliberately targeting the Milngavie Tesco store we need to know.
“Normally the plastic covering on the mince is quite easy to peel back, but with the mince I bought it was quite difficult to get the covering off the food.
“I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but it seems strange.
“Tesco should be able to know if their food has been tampered with. They must be able to do tests.”
She added: “I’m not concerned about compensation, I just want a proper investigation.
“I shudder to think what would have happened if I had fed this to my son.”
A Tesco spokesperson refused to speculate on a link between the two incidents, but added: “We set ourselves very high standards for the safety and quality of our food.
“We are investigating Mrs McLean’s complaint and will keep her updated with the findings.”