The mystery of an old picture of a lady in a horse-drawn cart has been solved thanks to a member of the public who has contacted us.
Elaine Gilmore has explained that the photo shows Kate (Catherine) Graham and was taken around 1900 in front of Dowan Farm, which is the name of the house attached to the farm in Baldernock.
Bill and Elaine Gilmore have lived there for the past 19 years with their daughter and son and they still run it as a farm to produce hay. This picture was posted through her door by an anonymous person a few years ago so she was surprised to see it published in our Down Memory Lane page.
This person also delivered another picture through her door, which we will publish next week, which she believes shows Kate’s sister - Nell - feeding hens at the back of the farm.
Mrs Gilmore said: “The Graham family farmed at Dowan Farm and then moved to Bankend, Craigmaddie, where the girls kept a few cows, made and sold butter and buttermilk in Milngavie up to the late 1940s.
“Helen (Nell) died aged 60 in 1950 and Kate passed away in March 1960 aged 79.
“Their headstones are in Baldernock churchyard.”
Records also show there was a William Graham, son of Thomas and Catherine, who died on October 7, 1919 aged 35 and James Jack Graham who died at Bankend, Craigmaddie on November 23 aged 55 years old.
The Gilmores say it’s possible that the Grahams of Dowan Farm may have been related to the famous Graham family who owned Mugdock Castle. The barony of Mugdock was granted by the Fourth Earl of Lennox to Sir Patrick de Graham and the lands of Dougalston, Barloch and others were in the Barony of Mugdock.
The Chief of the Grahams was created Earl in 1503 and raised to Duke in 1703. Surviving member of the family, Ann Graham, left Mugdock Castle in 1846. Both the famous Marquis of Montrose and Viscount Claverhouse ‘Bonnie Dundee’ (1649-1689) were Grahams.
The Grahams ended their ownership of Mugdock when the sixth Duke of Montrose sold the castle and estate to Hugh Fraser, later Lord Fraser of Allander, in 1945.
His son, Sir Hugh Fraser Bart, gifted these to the former Central Region in 1981 for use as a country park, which it remains to this day.