THERE are hopes that the Drymen Show will be held later this summer.
Organisers of the agricultural show are set to meet next Tuesday (June 4) to discuss the possibility of holding the event on a different date than originally planned and possibly at a different venue.
The show was all set to go ahead last weekend, but had to be called off because the showfield was too wet after months of persistent rain.
One of the country’s longest running shows, it was also prevented from going ahead in 2012 due to a potential risk of E.coli from cowpats in the field.
A few people complained after being diagnosed with E.coli after visiting the show two years ago and a site visit by officials last year found recent animal droppings on the showfield, which should not have been there.
The committee had pulled out all the stops to put the show on this year, but they made the decision on Wednesday, May 15 to cancel it, as even if the weather had improved it still wouldn’t have been enough to dry out the show field.
Society secretary, David Steel, said: “This is my first year as secretary, so I’ve been very disappointed that we’ve not been able to hold the show again.
“After last year, everything was in place and the animals had been removed from the showground and we were looking forward to it.
“Unfortunately, at its current location the show is at the mercy of the weather and heavy rain had left the field soaking wet.
“When we meet in June we are going to talk about the possibility of finding another venue, as it’s becoming increasingly difficult to plan and hold events in an outdoor area, partly due to the weather and also the practical difficulties of making sure the field is empty of livestock for 28 days prior to the show.
“It also costs a lot of money each year and requires many hours of organisation and planning by a team of people.
“We are all feeling a bit sick about the show’s cancellation just now and look forward to being able to discuss possible solutions for the future.”
He added: “We hope to be able to hold it this year at a later date and probably at a different venue as well.”