Green light for Burnbrae car boot sale

0
Have your say

THE popular Burnbrae car boot sale has been given a reprieve, the Milngavie and Bearsden Herald can reveal.

For years, people had been going along to sell, browse and pick up bargains at the Sunday morning event behind the Halley’s showroom, next to Homebase.

Up to 30 people pay £10 a time for a pitch and all the cash would go to different charities.

However, the car park has fallen silent on the last few Sunday mornings after the Halley brothers - who had been on the site for almost 60 years - announced they were pulling out and Arnold Clark was taking over.

It was unclear whether this would mean an end to the sales and none have taken place since the end of February.

One regular attender, who asked not to be named, said: “Halleys provided a special venue for the car boot sale, and loads of money was raised for charity over the years.

“It was always a great social occasion, both for the sellers and the buyers. This was especially wonderful for old people and was for me one of the highlights of the week. Furthermore, when all the talk is of conserving and recycling, what could be more efficient than the car boot sale?

“If Arnold Clark cares about its public image, it should think about trying to find a way to allow the sales to continue. Many people would be very grateful.”

This week, a spokeswoman for Arnold Clark, who officially took over at the site last Thursday, revealed they would be happy to allow the event to continue - once they have cleared up some legal issues with East Dunbartonshire Council.

She said: “Once we get everything sorted out we would be happy for the car boot sale to go ahead.”