People living in North Lanarkshire are being urged to fight against fire in their homes this winter.
The council’s housing team has joined up with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service to warn residents of the dangers.
Free smoke alarms are installed in all council homes to help keep people safe and annual checks carried out to make sure people’s alarms are working properly.
Des Murray, Head of Housing Property, said: “During winter we unfortunately see a spike in the number of fire related incidents in homes.
“Fire doesn’t discriminate and can destroy lives as well as properties. There are many simple things people can do to help reduce fire risk. As well as ensuring all our homes have fire alarms and detectors, our staff can offer help and advice and if anyone has any concerns about potential fire hazards within their council property, they should give us a call so we can help.”
Iain McCusker, from Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “Sadly house fires are still occurring too often. Last year, of the 286 accidental house fires across North Lanarkshire, 54 per cent involved cooking.
“This risk is increased when people are under the influence of alcohol.
“Leaving cookers unattended is the most frequent cause of fire in the home.
“Most fatal fires are caused by smoker’s materials. Don’t smoke in your chair or bed if you’ve been drinking or you’re feeling tired.”
Call 0800 0731 999 for a free home visit from the fire service or log in to www.fire scotland.gov.uk