Don’t let the ‘silent killer’ into your home

Val Dunn with her dog Oscar, they both survived suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in their home. 'Photo Emma Mitchell'25/10/13
Val Dunn with her dog Oscar, they both survived suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in their home. 'Photo Emma Mitchell'25/10/13

A Milngavie woman who survived carbon monoxide poisoning in her home has welcomed an initiative which aims to highlight the problem.

A Carbon Monoxide Awareness charity is going to launch their eighth National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week at the House of Lords on November 18.

It was set up by mother-of-four Lynn Griffiths after she and her family suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning for over a decade.

And Val Dunn (67) from Milngavie, who cheated death recently when her home was filled with the toxic fumes, thinks this is a much-needed campaign as many people don’t even know the symptoms of this ‘silent killer.’

She had been feeling unwell for about a week with splitting headaches, dizziness and nausea and her doctor was unable to diagnose what was causing her to feel ill.

Eventually her carbon monoxide alarm went off to alert her to a leak from her boiler.

Mrs Dunn is now urging people to firstly make sure they have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted in their house, and if they have one to check that the batteries are working.

Mrs Dunn, said: “I was beginning to feel confused and irrational - classic symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning which I didn’t realise at the time.”

Bearsden MSP Fiona McLeod also supports the aims of Carbon Monoxide Aawreness Week.

She said: “It’s important that people know they can help protect themselves by making sure they have all their fuel burning appliances serviced every year.

“Sweep their chimney once or twice a year and install a carbon monoxide alarm in the ‘correct place’ in their home, caravan or boat.

“I pledge my support to this awareness week.

“Please don’t let someone you love or someone living in OUR community fall victim to this silent killer.”

For information contact Lynn Griffiths on 07715899296.