Blaze in Milngavie’s Cancer Research shop

Cancer Research shop, Milngavie.
Cancer Research shop, Milngavie.

Shoppers and staff were evacuated from the Cancer Research UK shop in Milngavie this afternoon after a small fire broke out in the store.

Firefighters were called to the premises on Main Street at about 1.18pm today (Tuesday, August 30) by which time the fire had already been extinguished.

The fire appears to have been caused by an overheated light fixture but luckily there doesn’t seem to have been any serious damage in the shop and no one was injured.

Staff were still standing outside the building several hours later (at 3pm) when The Herald contacted them.